At 8i Creations we were helping businesses and design firms to bring more conversions/orders/inquiries from their websites. Here’s what I’ll sum up as the best practices. (Please don’t inquire 8i creations, we are no more accepting projects)
1. Define your business in 5 words. Headline it on your home page.
2. Solve 3 questions that customer would be asking when coming to a page & follow it up with a contact number/email id/form for further discussion.
3. Navigation text is important. Name links as customer would like to search it, not what your product name is. Eg. “SEO” may be defined as “Increase website visitors”. Similarly ‘Machine for tamarind processing’ is more suitable navigation text that ‘HP terminator 500’. Dharma Agrotech, one of our clients, has a multipurpose machine that can process Peeper as well as Groundnuts. But their customers may not search that way. See how we created different links to the same product. And the conversion was wonderful.
4. Be definitive about who your customers are and who are not.
5. Use videos & photos to describe your products and how it’ll benefit customers. Real photos can make you more authentic than stock images.
6. Customer testimonials are powerful. Use their photos or videos.
7. Clear and simple looking websites convert in an average 5 times more visitors than a website that looks very flashy & complex.
8. Give yourself a face. Put your pictures, pictures of where from you work and a complete address.
9. Invest money in SEO & Blogging if you can afford the money and time. It worths it. The more people come to your site, more you can convert.
10. And most importantly, make contact methods clear, visible and within quick reach. If your phone number is only at “contact us” page, you’ll loose 50% of possible leads. Wit says, convert them as soon as they make their decision. The low touch the contacts will be the better. Phone number or a form is better than only email id.
11. Did I forget to mention about content? Spend on a good content writer. Clear and conversational content are your best investment. Else ask the person-in-charge of your marketing or sales, if he/she’s good at content writing.
It works in this order:
1. More people know about your site: SEO & Blog
2. More people found the solution they were looking for: Site content & Navigation
3. More people contacted you: Clear and instant contact methods.
Hope you would like this post. What are the other best practices do you think?